Twilite Motel (?)
The business began when proprietress Marion Keller opened the “Twilite Cottage for overnight Guests” in her home in 1924. Traffic was steady on Route 20 so in 1932, she designed and had five cottages built. These were unheated and had no running water; there was a separate house. Three more cabins were built c. 1936. By 1939, the first five had received rear additions housing private baths and were rated “Class A” by the Automobile Association of America. In response to the growing popularity of motels, Mrs. Keller designed the Twilite Motel in 1955, one year after the New York State Thruway opened, bypassing Route 20. Her “motel,” however, is actually a facade which visually links the original five cabins; there is no interior connection. The business is still operated by Mrs. Keller.